rear bearing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: rear bearing
From: A666K@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:45:46 EDT
My right rear bearing was making a horrible noise, I jacked the car up, took
the wheel off and noticed that the "flinger" was riding up on the axle shaft
and not pushed against the inner bearing. I am assuming this caused the
bearing's destruction.
I have a few questions;
1. What retains this "flinger" against the inner oil seal?
2. Can I change bearing by myself w/o a hydraulic press?
3. If I cant, what special instructions should i give my mechanic?(fragile
flange etc)
4. Any theories on why this would happen a few days after greasing it. (
could have my liberal grease pumping pushed the flinger/inner-oilseal out?
excuse the length&TIA
Avi&Cheech the '78 Spit