car electrical problem

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: car electrical problem
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:12:07
OK, I am now in stage two of solving this electical problem and I need some
help and guidance from here.  I disconnected the positive battery terminal
and put a test light between the battery and the cable, following Dans
(vegaman) advice.  here is what I found.  With the ignition off no short.
with the ignition on there was a short (my understanding of the ignition
system could be flawed and the short could be a normal function??)  I
disconnected all three fuses and still a short.  Checked the wiring in the
harness and I found the remains of a White and pink wire which was
presumably the original short that started me out on this crusade.  The
wire was all but gone and remains of insulator are all that remained.
However, I did find two solid white wires that come in form the firewall
(down by the tunnel cover) and seem to go to the fuse box.  these wires
seem to be melted together,  by info from Dan masters reports on this is
that is the Ballast resistor wire.  No idea how this entered the picture.
but I am wondering if this is part of the original and not part of the
current problem.

Background, 1 month ago I rebuilt my brake master cylinder - disconnected
the coil and allison x700 amp.  When reconnecting the ignition I noticed
that the coil seemed to get very hot and the amp got warm as well.  I was
reassured that this was normal and reexamined the way it was hooked up and
it was the only way conceivable and the way I remember it.  Drove the car
for several days noticed a slight smell of burning wires.  soon enough car
would not start.  Disassembled dash, cleaned up wiring harness, and "found"
the short, the white and pink radio wire.  Finished up and Drove the car
and now the instruments act crazy and the electric fan won't.

any more info on this, ideas? laughter? Black magic? anything?  What to do
next?
Heeeeellllp!

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire - daily driver