Re: Thermostat Differences and dumb things

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat Differences and dumb things
From: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
   The 160 is for the summer time, so when the coolant reaches about
160 during warming up the thermostat opens allowing the coolant to pass
into the radiator for cooling.  The 180 is the standard, I believe.
Meaning that it doesn't matter what season it is used...
  I don't think having no thermostat would cause overheating.  It would
produce opposite effects if any. With no thermostat the car is being
cooled even before it warms up.  So if it is really cold out your car
might not even reach normal operating temps.  At warmer temps it will
take a bit longer to reach normal operating temp.  Overheating may be
due to a dirty coolant system.  You should flush it and see if that
helps...
Tom