RE: Strange charging issue... but I may already be a winner.

To: "Atwell Haines" <carbuff@nac.net>,
Subject: RE: Strange charging issue... but I may already be a winner.
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 06:55:19 -0400
Lucas 40000 volt Sport coil on. Any tips or instructions? Can I use it with
the 80 "replacement" electronic ignition?
Greg, since you are looking for a quick response I'll give it a shot.

Your voltage readings indicate a weak charging circuit to me.  Have you
checked the security of the grounds? There is supposed to be a fat wire
braid from the bell housing to the body that some times gets 'lost' if the
engine was ever pulled.
--> The battery negative goes (small wire) to the body, (large wire) to the
bellhousing.
There is also a major ground lug on the frame,  LF of the engine
compartment, near the bottom of the slant radiator. Make sure those are
clean and tight.
-->This seems to be OK. I hit it with contact cleaner.

The ballast resistor is a wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the
ignition switch. The silver thing you mentioned is the 'drive resistor' and
was part of the original Lucas ignition, should be OK to leave it off.

Gotta ask:  was the alternator tested RECENTLY?  Is the v-belt tight? Are
the battery cables clamping tightly?  (I once had one that had poor
continuity on its ends)
-->tested less than 2 weeks ago, belt's ok, battery cables and starter cable
are BRAND NEW. (Found then at Pep Boys for cheap)

Check that stuff out & get back to us...

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire