a-arms self-destructing!

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: a-arms self-destructing!
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:04:48 -0500
Listers,

I was in the process of putting poly bushings into my '77 last night and I was
getting ready to re-assemble the drivers side, when the long thin cross piece
of the lower left a-arm came loose from one side!   I had  rebuilt the entire
suspension a little over two years ago and it was fine then.  Since then, I
have driven the car about 8000 miles and have put it through two auto-x
events.

Is this a fluke or should I be concerned that the a-arms will continue to
break if not re-enforced?

The cross piece is only held on by a couple of rivets, its not welded....,
yet.  My plans are to weld both ends of the cross piece to the a-arm, but I
was wondering if there are parts available that are a little more substantial,
or if I should add some extra support to the a-arm.

Any suggestions from those of you out there with Spitfire racing experience?

Thanks,
Paul M.
'77 Spitfire 1500