Thrust washers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust washers
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:39:50 -0600
Well Guys,
        Give me the bad news.

I just pulled the pan of my MK IV and found two thrust washers lying in
the bottom.  Not a lot of sludge, but then I had just changed the oil
last week.  Onw washer gotpretty mangled as if fell out, and the bearing
cap has what looks like a lot of scoring on it.

        So, what is the verdict?  Is there any hope of
rebuilding/machining/repairing the bearing cap, block and/or crankshaft?

        Isn't that the way it goes - I just installed a new steering
wheel cover and was looking forward to going for a spin!
Cheers (tears), Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths
Calgary, Canada