Altinator Conversion

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Altinator Conversion
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:07:21 +0100
Triumph World did a Technical Artical on everything you need to repair and
survice a Triumph Altinator.  They also had in the last secion replacement
sugestions.  They showed a Lucas A127 conversion, the wiring connector is
exactly the same, you use the same plug, but there is an addition of a screw
to connect suppressor capacitor to.  Were these fitted to TR6's or not?

I presume this conversion is probebly the least likely to need physical
viloence with the altinator mounts.   Bosh and others may meen getting the
angle grinder out!

I can recognise an A127 altinator, but how can I recognise what output it
has.  I don't want a 45 am one, thats almost no better, I want the 55 amp
version.  65 and up even better!  Although I am going to get some HEAVY duty
cable.   What cars will I find in the scap yard with this Altinator.

All this is because driving back at night the lights are so dim, but then
for about 3 in 15 minuets the get bright.  The halogen lights look to
tungston lamp in coulour, not a very white light.  The driving lights dont
help, and I am about to add front fog lamps, then upgrad my halogen
conversion to 120/100 W halogens.