Strange alternator problems

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange alternator problems
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 16:08:12 -0400
Hi everybody,

My alternator (Lucas) is determined to fail in the most unusual ways!  It
first went bad 4 mos. ago when the wire on the rotor broke, no warning
light or anything, just no charging.  I got that fixed and the alternator
has worked fine until last week.  Now it charges at idle and upto about
3000 rpm and then it dies, no output at all until the rpms drop.  I have
checked the belt tension and there is no slippage, I'm thinking that the
voltage regulator is breaking down as more voltage is fed into it.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Glenn Trunnell
'76 Spitfire (possessed by the prince of darkness)