Re: Newbie questions

To: Ali Mohempour <ali@ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: "Bradley D. Richardson" <brichard@us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:52:16 -0700
Ali,

Welcome aboard.

I also have a spitfire that is titled as a 79, but the door jam plate
says it was made in March 78, and it has the chrome bumbers.  I thought
I was the only one.  My guess has always been that Triumph shipped it to
the US very late in the year, and it was licenses as a 79.

Perhaps someone else knows if this guess is true or not.

Brad Richardson
Portland, OR
2 79 spitfires, one as above, and one a true 79.

===================================

Ali Mohempour wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm new to the list...in fact I'm a proud new owner of a '79 Spitfire 1500
> (first non-japanese car I owned ever!)
> The door jam says '78 but the title and paper work says '79.  It does come
> with those nice chrome bumpers though, which I've been told were replaced by
> rubber ones in '79.  So could this be an early '79?  It has 50K on it, and
> has been sitting in a garage for couple of years.  Starts, but rough idle.
>
> Anyways, here are my real concerns:
>
> 1.  The radiator is dead!  what should I do replace it with a new one or
> recore it? There seems to be some clear jelly like stuff stuck to the lower
> part of it, kinda like a temporary seal.
>
> 2.  There is gas in the tank, but after 2 years of sitting what should I do,
> take the tank out, and clean it?
>
> 3.  The battery box (need I say more!) what should I do? where do I get
> replacement?
>
> 4.  The body and frame are rust free but there is some in the front where
> the washer bottle and stuff sits (I call it the ledge).  Also some surface
> rust in the driver side food area.  Whats the cheapest way to fix it up?
>
> I'll have many more questions later.  The main thing is that I'm on a
> student budget and I really want to drive the car, and don't care if my
> chassis is power coated or my exhause system is fully chromed (who can see
> that anyways).  Please help me since I know nothing about these cars.  It's
> kinda sad that I know how to modify the ECU in hondas and mess around with
> the ignition system, but look like an idiot in fron of a carbeurator
> (spell?).
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Ali

Bradley D. Richardson      Phone:  800-862-4563, ext. 2756
Senior Consultant                       FAX:  503-220-5150
Oracle Corporation                    Pager:  503-948-8956
1000 S.W. Broadway
Suite 1200
Portland, OR  97205         E-mail: brichard@us.oracle.com