Re: intake/exhaust swap

To: HD883HUGGR@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: intake/exhaust swap
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 08:09:51 -0500
 >   (1) Is it just a matter of hitting the studs with WD40, pulling off the
 >T-bolt thingies, removing exhaust manifold & gasket, slapping the new gasket
 >in place, and bolting on the header?

More or less, in theory...  Use anti-seize lube on all those studs!!!

 >    (2) If so, does the metal side of the gasket face the engine or the
 >header?

The engine (I think).  But my gaskets either had no metal, or metal
on both sides.

 >    (3) What is the possibility of the intake manifold falling off at the
 >same time?

Certain.  Remove it, too.  Besides, the gasket has to go under it as well.

 >    (4) Can I re-tighten the bolts with just an enthusiastic tug, or do I
 >need a torque wrench?

It worked for me.  Be gentle on the studs with the longer T-bolt thingies.

 >    (5) Would it be wiser to be patient and do both the intake/carb swap and
 >the header/exhaust swap at the same time?

Depends on how long you want the car to be off the road...

Note that you will still need a couple of feet of pipe to reach from the end of
the header to the beginning of the Monza exhaust.  It has to bend a couple of
times, too, because the header is at one side of the car and the exhaust pipe
is in the centerline.  You could cut the corresponding part out of your
existing stock exhaust pipe.  I didn't want to wreck mine, so I cheated
and used a piece of that tacky flexible exhaust pipe they sell in parts stores.
I also used a coat hanger to hold up the front end of the Monza exhaust pipe.
(Which was still in perfect shape when I took it out several years later).

Also note that one the stock muffler mounts gets in the way of the rear mounting
bracket of the Monza exhaust.  I recommend modifying the Monza bracket somehow
so that you do not have to cut off the stock one, in case you want to put the
stock
exhaust back in.