Re: Front hub cap removal

To: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front hub cap removal
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 10:00:16 -0400
At 08:53 PM 07/31/1999 -0700, Gary Tash wrote:

>While doing some clean up work on the engine compartment I discovered
>that my front hubs have noticeable lateral movement, feels like an
>in/out movement on the spindle.  I was going to check out the problem,
>but I couldn't get the cap off the hub.   What don't I know about this?

You mean Spitfire Secret # 3?     :)  Shhhh.......

The little hub cap is meant to be removed by screwing a small bolt into the
hole on the end. The bolt forces the cap away from the hub.

Sounds great in theory, but in practice, there often is insufficient "bite"
from the sheetmetal cap to avoid instant stripping (and much cursing).
This can be rectified by welding or epoxying a nut to the inside of the
hubcap.  But that doesn't help you if the one on the car NOW won't come off.

What I did was to replace the ones I destroyed during removal. They aren't
that expensive. Now, with properly 'nutted' caps, removal is a piece of cake.

PS, often the axle play comes from compression of the felt inboard seals on
the hubs. Folks who replace those seals should be aware that it usually
takes a couple adjustments of the axle nuts before the bearings stop
loosening up.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

" When you do a good deed, get a receipt, in case heaven is like the IRS."