Air Shocks (Brass Schrader Valves) and THANKS!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Shocks (Brass Schrader Valves) and THANKS!
From: Paul Carreiro <74Spit@accessearth.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 16:30:17 -0700
Greetings fellow Spit Pilots..

Someone asked awhile ago for a source for brass Schrader valves for
the Spit air shock installation.  I just completed installation of a set of
Monroe MA-785 air shocks on my 1974 Spit 1500.   I found that the
Gabriel Hose Kit P/N 140656 contains two single brass Schrader valves,
plus two plastic T-valves with hosing.  Cost is $9.99 at Pep Boys.  The
brass valves are much more sturdy than the plastic T-valves supplied.
This hose kit is compatible with the Monroe shocks (although I used the
supplied Monroe hose caps for the shocks themselves).

I'd like to take this opportunity (being somewhat of a list lurker) to thank
the list for the superior level of technical help and expertise available.  I
have taken my '74 Spit 1500 "TOODLZ" from a state were it was stored
for 14 years (with 42K miles on the odometer), to a prime, street driven,
California smogged, head turner.  I've done so many projects to get from
there to here, I can't even begin to list them.  Each one however, was
aided with posts that I had archived from the list over the past year.  From
wheel color to tire size, from air shocks to crank shaft nut size; it seems
like each thread has helped in the restoration of my Spit.  I haven't had to
ask many questions from the list at all.. it's all already there! The List
Archives are a big help too.

I don't have a web page for my Spit (yet), but here are some before and
after pictures to give you an idea the road I've traveled:

Before: http://members.accessearth.net/~n6ev/before.jpg  Right after the
car was dragged from the garage where it spent the later half of the 80's,
and all of the 90's stored under a car cover.

After: http://members.accessearth.net/~n6ev/after.jpg  Picture taken a
few minutes ago out in the drive way.  You can see where I have not
taken down all of the 14 years worth of paint oxidization on the driver's
side door... a good comparison of before/after paint.

Thanks again for being there.

Paul Carreiro   -   Southern California  -  mailto:74Spit@accessearth.net
1974 Spitfire 1500 - "TOODLZ" - FM-17459U - Mimosa Yellow - 42K miles
Member: Southern California Triumph Owners Association