Re: Radiator & Carb questions

To: Ali Mohempour <ali@ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Radiator & Carb questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:48:27 -0700

Ali Mohempour wrote:

> Thanks everyone for replying to my newbie questions thread.  Now I have some
> more specific questions:
>
> 1.  I took out my radiator, and found a little crack on the bottom. Is it
> possible to install the '79 Spitfire radiator on my '78 ('79 titled)
> spitfire? Or should I just repair the '78 radiator, put new hoses, and
> install an electric fan?

Should be.  I'm not sure exactly when the change to the slanted radiator
was, but if this the case between these two years, you will of course
have to change out all the other hardware as well.

> 2.  I heard somewhere that a Honda Prelude radiator could fit the Spitfire
> 1500, is that true?

Can't help with that.

> 2.  I removed the carburetor and want to rebuild it.  Is is too hard to
> rebuild it following the Haynes manual, and should I buy a rebuild kit from
> a company like Moss, or are the kits ordered by Kragen and Pepboys, or
> SuperTrek, just as good?

I have found the kits sold by TRF to be the most complete.  But where
ever you buy it, make sure that it includes a new needle as well.  Some
kits don't.

> 3.  My Spitfire comes with an ignition called Allison XR700 or something.
> Can I just swap it with a Crane unit?

The Allison "IS" the Crane unit.  Crane bought out Allison and started
re-labeling the units.

Regards,
Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer