Re: Son of Oops- Can the rack itself be lubricated?

To: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@comsavings.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Son of Oops- Can the rack itself be lubricated?
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:40:11 +0100 (BST)
--- Nick Moseley <nmoseley@comsavings.com> wrote:

> Sorry, no answer regarding how to remove the grease,
> but some members of
> this list use grease in their trunnions (ew, that
> sounds like it might hurt)
> and swear by it.

Having had the front suspension collapse on me whilst
negotiating a bend out in the country due to the PO
using grease in the trunnions, I'll stick with EP90
Hypoid - its more fluid and flows around the threads
when you steer IMHO.

> On a similar vein though, is it possible to
> lubricate the rack itself, and
> if so how? I notice that there is a hole into the
> rack underneath one of the
> rubber mounts, can one put in a grease nipple (oops
> sorry, fitting; or this
> actually what a zerk is, always wondered...)and put
> in grease or oil. If so,
> what?

The rack can be lubricated by replacing the blanking
plug in the casing where the steering column joins the
rack with a suitable nipple, and pumping in some
grease.

The hole in the rack under one of the rack mounts
should have a nylon plug fitted (pt no. 145108). The
purpose of which is to stop the rack rattling in the
casing bearing. For this to work, you must have rubber
or polyurethane mounts. If you use aluminium rack
mounts, wrap some tape round the plug and rack to stop
dirt getting in.

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299