Re: really into it now

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: really into it now
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:20:21 -0700
>I've got to put a new top on but have never done it before.  Is it
something
>the die hard home mechanic can do reasonably? (76 1500)  Also I was hoping
>to get a tan top to match the tan seats which I think would look nice with
>red exterior.  Anybody have a picture of this configuration?

Installing a top is time consuming but not difficult.

>What color should the wiper motor and bracket be?

The steel parts are satin black, the aluminum parts are unpainted

>I've got new waist / roll up window seals - all four.  Whats the trick to
>putting these on without having to remove the upper door caps?

There is a hooked tool to install these. I can provide correct dimensions.
>From experience,
make sure the metal is strong enough so it won't straighten out.

>There is a curved bar apparently missing from the right side under hood
>area.  Should it not be there because of the battery?  It looks like it
>would clear my battery but maybe a PO removed it to clear a tall battery?
>Is it important to the strength of the hood?

The hooks and bar were safety related items, installed on some but not all
of the USA/Canadian cars from 1977. The state of destination was the
determining factor, and I believe they were installed by the dealers, not at
the factory. My 80 did not have them, nor did my 78. However, a friends 77
did have them - why? I don't know. I think it had something to do with the
bumpers and overriders installed. They were to stop the hood from  riding up
on the windscreen in the event of a crash. Not required for rubber bumper
cars though.

>There are no emblems of any sort on my car.  Other than the stick on
decals,
>what should there be?  I despise the decals.

There were no 'real' emblems on any spitfire after the official launch of
the Spitfire 1500 in the UK (1976) After that, there was a small 'Triumph'
badge mounted on the centre of the rear bumper. All the rest of the markings
were by the 'decals'

If you can find them, the Mk IV - 1500 used very nice badges front and rear.
They look much better!

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000