Re: Spitfire High School Project

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire High School Project
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:13:50 -0400
That's quite an innovative thought there. (making a spitfire into an EV).

Anyone else notice how little a spitfire weighs compared to modern day
cars of it's size? According to several books I own. The dry weight of a
spitfire is ~1700 lbs.

That's....

550 lbs. (25%) lighter than a '99 Mazda Miata
950 lbs. (36%) lighter than a '98 BMW 1.9l Z3 Roadster
1100 lbs. (40%) lighter than a '99 Mercedes-Benz 230 SLK
1300 lbs. (43%) lighter than a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

(The spyder is 22 inches longer than the spitfire, so that's probably not a
very fair comparison, but the others average only around 5 to 10" longer)

And I wonder how many of those have metal body panels.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500