Re: hot spit engine and transmitter location

To: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hot spit engine and transmitter location
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 18:16:14 -0400
At 02:13 PM 08/07/1999 -0400, Tom Ambrose wrote:

>currently, it goes to a little more than 1/2, kicks down a bit, then slowly
>goes all the way hot in around 5 to 10 minutes.

I've had bad thermostats do that.

IMO t-stats aren't so expensive that you can't pop a new one in to check.
If the bugger doesn't open all the way the engine will run hot no matter
what the temp rating.

I think a pressure check of the cooling system is in order too.  Running
the stock 13.5 lb cap?

And ignition timing can contibute to hot running.  I was recently messing
with my timing and a couple degrees difference resulted in a noticeable
change in running temperature.  Does your dizzy have a good advance/retard
unit?

Further guesses:  Water pump?   Loose belt on same?

Don't feel bad about your shakedown problems.  My Spit did the same thing
the summer after I brought it back from the dead.

Good Luck,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

" Man who run in front of car get tired. Man who run behind car get
exhausted." -- Chinese Proverb