Re: wiper problems

To: Sue Hunneybell <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wiper problems
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:55:21 +0100 (BST)

--- Sue Hunneybell <suzie_bear@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question myself about wipers that I hope
> someone can advise me on.
> Is it possible to a fit a twin speed motor to my '68
> mk III.

Yes, but how difficult do you want the installation to
be? The easiest way would be to fit a GT6 Mk1 wiper
motor, that looks outwardly identical, and would just
be a straight swap on the same mounting plate. The
problem being finding one as they tend to be quite
expensive. To complete, fit the switch suggested by
Andrew Mace, swap the knob with the old switch and put
the extra wire from the switch to the motor.

If you try to put in the later Mk4 spit motor, there
are a number of problems to be encountered. Firstly,
mountings - the motor is pointing inwards, and the
output to the rack enters the bulkhead in a different
place. Thus, the rack would also require modifying -
difficult but possible. Also the sweep of the wipers
changed, and/or wiper wheel boxes.

> Yet again today
> the heavens opened over the South of England and I
> couldn't see a thing -
> cue slow to a crawl, upsetting everyone on the road
> behind me!

I also was out in the storms, with my single speed
wipers in the spitfire - I know what you mean!
===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299