Haynes manual differences

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Haynes manual differences
From: "Ali Mohempour" <ali@ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:01:39 -0700
The guy that sold me my '78 Spitfire last month, let me borrow hisa Haynes
manual published in '83.  I went and bought my own published in '88.  Last
weekend, I tried to flush the cooling system (with radiator at shop), so I
tried to locate the engine drain plug, using the old Haynes manual.

Based on the photo, the plug seems to be on the driver side of the block
right behind the fuel pump.  I opened the plug and stuck a wire in there and
the wire had some oil and smelled like gas.  I went ahead and blasted away
with the water hose...water went in and drained out.

BUT, when I used the water through the upper radiator inlet (the thermostat)
no water came out of the drain plug (engine off).
Later that day I looked at the newer Haynes manual and lo and behold the
pictures are different.  The new manual shows a bolt on the passenger side,
right nect to the exhaust manifold. What's going on?

So:
1.  Why the difference or are they both drain plugs?

2.  Will the water come out, only when the engine is running?

Thanks everyone.

Ali

p.s.  I'm so glad you guys (and girls) are out there to help me out:)