Re: Rear wheel wobble

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel wobble
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:35:01 -0400
Vic, thanks for the VB references.  Helps to be talking about the same thing!

At 08:21 PM 08/08/1999 -0500, Victor B. Michael wrote:

>Uhm, runout? I examined the entire axel from the differential to the
>"axel hub and flange"
>and it seems the only wobble occurs outward of the "axel flinger".

By runout, I mean a lack of concentricity.  If you spin a straight nail
between two fingers it will always appear straight.  Put a bend in the
middle of the nail, and the end you are not holding will 'wobble'.

Runout at the end of the axle could be determined with a Dial Indicator
tool, or more crudely by clamping a pointer onto a block of wood under the
outer tip of the axle.Position the pointer so it JUST touches the axle end.
 Turn the opposite wheel 180 degrees (so you don't upset the suspension of
the axle you are measuring).  The pointer should still touch the axle.  If
it doesn't the axle is bent. (Take several measurements)

You can also check the straightness of the hub over 360 degrees rotation
with the same setup.  Just point it at a different component.  (I did this
when I was troubled by a rear brake vibration last year)

>As I look at, this symptom looks (and feels) like the inner bearing.
>(but i'm obviously not sure)

If the outboard tip of the axle shaft has no runout (is consistant in
relation to the pointer, over its rotation) the axle is straight. If the
brake backing plate, which is bolted onto the hub that includes VB item 17
, is 'wobbling', then yes you may have a bad bearing. But look also at the
axle hub and flange (VB item 18).  THAT is what can bend during an
accident, or in sliding against a curb, or if it is removed from the axle
with the improper tool.

I can attach a pic of the axle flange removal tool if you want.  It is
available through the Triumph Sport Six Club in England (TSSC) but I know
others have made their own.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines