Re: SU Carbs

To: Ken C <KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: SU Carbs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:35:01 -0400 ()
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Ken C wrote:

> Spitmaniacs,

I like the term! :-)

> Gonna try and install a '69 dual SU (HS2's) carb setup on the '72 Spitfire.
> The current carb is a single Stromberg 150 CD. The question is regarding the
> linkage between the carbs and the gas pedal, what is the best way ? Got the
> SU carbs and manifold on eBay and they look to be in good shape. They came
> with the carb-to-carb linkages and, of course, I still have all the gas
> pedal to Stromberg cables and linkage. I would like to use as much of the
> existing stuff as possible.

It shouldn't be very difficult to adapt the cable to the existing SU
linkage. Those SUs originally were actuated via a "bar" linkage that
pushed up from below. You just need something to steady the cable
(scavenge from current Stromberg setup) and a way to attach the cable to
the linkage on the carbs. At worst, I'd think you could probably order it
through Rimmer Bros., since this essentially would have been the home
market Mk.IV specfication (I think).

> Or, just stay with the Stromberg ?

For what, sentimental reasons? ;-) Note that the improvement will NOT be
exponential. You might even lose a bit of response at lower rpm's, but
overall you should see maybe a 10% or so increase in power. Of course,
going from 48 to 42.8 hp isn't too impressive when you look at it that
way, but I suspect you'll feel the difference nonetheless.

> It's just that dual carbs are so cool !!

Amen to that!

--Andy