Re: Commision Number Plates

To: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Commision Number Plates
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:34:13 +0100
>John, every commission plate I have seen lists a year date for emmissions
>printed on the plate i.e. (This Vehicle Meets Safety and Emmision
>Regulations For Federal Vehicle Standards for 1979), but it also has the
>supposed date of manufacture stamped in to it i.e. (April 1979)
>
>So are we all talking about the same date listed on our plates?

Patrick, I don't know. I'd been out of Leyland for about 6 years by the time
your car was made. I'll have a look at Spitfire "Number Last" tomorrow at
HMC and see what that chassis plate says. Something in my mind tells me
North American spec cars had a different plate to UK market and general
export versions. There again, they could be the same but I have no idea of
the cutover date. Anyway, I'll have a look (if I don't forget) and report
back.

Cheers
John