Re: Theft Proofing [long semi OT]

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing [long semi OT]
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:01:45 -0700
My personal favorite:
A cell phone, computer (maybe one of those new palm pilots with
cell connetivity built in) and a GPS in a sealed box. The box
has it's own battery, which is charged when the car is running.
(so even if the theives cut some wires, it has plenty of battery life)
It is hidden behind in the body of the car.
When your car is stolen, you call it up, and it tells you
where it is. Alternatly, you can activate it when you park the
car, and it calls you (or your hells angel friends ;-) if it moves
without being deaciveated.

It works regarless of whether they tow it or hotwire it (although
if they hotwire, they might crash it before you catch them.)

Should be buildable for less than $500 of off the shelf electronics.
Much cheaper if you manufactured them in volume.

The only down side is that you have to pay for cell service
that you only use if your car is stolen. But I bet you can find
a cell plan with low monthy fees and high per minute cost.
It would not work if your car is out of cell range, but I bet
99% of car thefts in the US are in cell covarage.
You also have to convince the cops that, yes your car was stolen,
but you know where it is.

The upside is you're chances of actually catching the bastards
and getting your car back is VERY good.

I would actually like to build one of these some day, although at
this point it would probably be worth as much as the car (and
any theives right now would have to finish the car to steal it).
If anyone else builds one (or wants to), let me know.

PS: I did actually start the new DOHC motor the other day.
After 6mo of work, what a feeling! It sounded good, but with no
exhaust and no radiator, I didn't run it for long. Just enough
make sure I hadn't totally messed up the computer wiring.
It should be driving Real Soon Now.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com