spit died - what to check?

To: "'List - Team.net Spitfire'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: spit died - what to check?
From: "Winnie Olmer" <who@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:13:53 -0400
My '79 spit was running rich as evidenced by the black soot in the tailpipe
and fuel odor. We were on a 45 minute drive each way.. and on the return
trip we almost made it home when the engine started to sputter and slow
down. Smoke was coming out the tailpipe with a heavy fuel odor. This morning
I tried to start it before the tow truck arrived and had the same symptoms
but without the fuel odor smoke.

My worst fear is a blown head gasket. There is no evidence of water in the
oil as far as looking at the dipstick. If it is an electrical problem then
perhaps the fuel odor smoke when the engine was hot was simply clouds of
non-combusted gas from the hot cylinders that weren't firing. I dont seem to
have a coolant loss either. What about a carb problem?

Since I have only recently begun to work on cars after a 25 year hiatus, I'm
at a loss as to the order I should diagnose my problems or even where to
start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Winnie