I'm back

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:35:05 +0100

Hi Listers!

Well, I'm back on-line again, and I've just read my first load of list e-mail.
It looks as if not much has changed - still the same old faces, some new
conversation threads, but basically the same stuff.

Anyway, you didn't think this e-mail would not contain a question, did you???
Last weekend I tried to remove my steering column, in order to fix the squeek it
produces, and failed.  In the past, I've always managed to follow instructions
in Haynes or the Workshop manual without any problems.  But this steering column
has beaten me.

First of all, I could not find where to disconnect the wires on the
steering-column stalks.  The manuals talk about connectors that pull apart, but
I can't find them.  I'm not too woried about this, though, because I suspect
I'll find them as I start pulling things apart.

The bit I really got stuck on was the lower clamp.  The manual says to undo the
screws and then remove the clamp.  I undid all the screws (including at least
one which I don't think was supposed to be unscrewed!) but could not figure out
how to remove the clamp.

I'm also curious about the bolt right at the bottom of the column.  The manual
says to remove the bolt immediately adjacent to the pinion housing.  But just
above this is some kind of joint which looks too big to withdraw along with the
column - it looked to me as if it is the clamp at the top of this joint (away
from the pinion housing) which should be undone?

If anyone could provide me with some clearer instructions for removing a
steering column, I'd be really grateful.

(I don't think it will make any difference, but this is a right-hand-drive)

TIA

Dean