Re: Spitfire Tonneau interchangeability

To: "Scions of the Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tonneau interchangeability
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:16:13 -0700
>On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Victor B. Michael wrote:
>
>> Could this be the problem with my hood boot (top cover)?
>> The snaps on the body gradually are further from the snaps on the boot.
>> I had to fashion an "adapter" at the B-post snaps for them to reach.
>> It's basically a small strap of leather with a female snap on one end
>> facing inward to snap to the body and one male facing outward to snap to
>> the boot cover.
>>
>> How exactly are they are different? Are the earlier snaps closer
>> together?
>
>An owner of a Spitfire 4 or Mk.2 will have to help me out with a more
>accurate description. Basically, though, those early cars with the
>completely removeable top have fewer snaps (3 per side) around the top
>quarter window area) than do the Mk.3 and later cars (4 per side). But the
>Mk.3 top is very similar to the later Mk.IV/1500 tops, save for the shape
>of the top as it fits around the door glass.
>
>As for the boot covers, again I'd have to compare Mk.3 and 1500 covers
>that I have, side-by-side, to see if there is any real difference there. I
>don't think so, but I'm not sure.
>
>--Andy

Since the hood of the Spitfire 4 and Mk II were completely removable, they
used NO boot cover at all. The tonneau from a Mk III will fit if the snaps
are
put on it in the right place. The snap locations for the Mk III were changed
slightly
after the fixed soft top was added. The overall size and shape of the
tonneau for the I/II and III
were the same. The Mk IV and 1500 used slightly longer rear curved sections
clear the fixed boot.

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000