Re: tranny help

To: vmichael@enteract.com
Subject: Re: tranny help
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:51:15 -0400
Hi, Vic.

Won't matter on the half-shafts, since the axles are allowed to rotate
at different rates by design.  (That's what the diff does.)  So if you
carefully installed them aligned, the first turn will undo all your
efforts.

OTOH, driveshaft U-joints must (under _almost_ all circumstances) be
synchronised -- the front and rear yokes on the ends of the driveshaft
must lie in the same plane.  The driveshaft should look like this:

       +]==========[+  or +]========--[+ (if you have a slider)

As far as reassimbling to the gearbox, I have never match-marked the
two mating flanges (though there were other dumb-type things I did so
many years ago.)  As long as the yokes on the driveshaft are correct
relative to each other, the rest should be OK.

Driveshafts with more than two u-joints (assuming cardan, not
constant-velocity) or with driving and driven axes at unusual angles
_may_ be assembled differently, but only on an expert analysis and
recommendation.  (I did it once, some 25 years ago; worked great for
the customer, but I've not seen an occasion to do it since.)