Re: Dual SU pictures

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Dual SU pictures
From: "Phil Johnson" <spitfire.man@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:02:00 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
To: Greg Ames <tga@arrowpoint.com>
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 2:25 AM

> Greg,
> Thanks, I don't really need one myself but it is reassuring that they
> are available in case I do another similar conversion.  I am going to
> switch my son's Mk2 over to cable linkage because his firewall holes are
> worn out and it is cheaper and more effective to switch over.  I have at
> least 3 pedal assemblies from later cars which will snap right in.  The
> real problem is figuring out a proper assembly for attaching the cable
> to the throttle interconnecting linkage on a 1147 engine.
>
> Unfortunately, Triumph (to my knowledge) never had such a setup.  So it
> looks as if I will have to do a bit of engineering.

If it is any use, my old Bond Equipe GT4S (Herald based glass fibre bodied,
with Spitfire mechanics) used a dual carb 1147cc Mk2 Spitfire engine with
the cable linkage to the herald accelerator pedal. Admittedly, the Bond
solution was very basic. It involved a strip of steel about 3mm thick and
20mm wide and about 150mm long. One end had a hole in it to be bolted
beneath one of the cylinder head nuts, and the other a hole to support the
cable collar. To clear the inlet manifold it had a 'dog leg' bend in it. I
told you it was crude - but it worked.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures to hand of this item but could
probably dig some out if you want them.

Regards
==
Phil Johnson
Spitfire/GT6 Secretary Club Triumph (UK)
www.club.triumph.org.uk/

1966 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
1977 TR7 ACG15216