Header & related smell

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Header & related smell
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:28:11 EDT
Hi Team.  Just had a header & monza exhaust put on Hobbs.  I got the header &
tailpipe in a swap about 6 months ago.  Header appeared new; tailpipe & monza
assembly was obviously used.
    When the work was done, the shop informed me my motor mounts were toast
and replaced them.  I'm assuming they put a jack under the oil pan to lift
the engine, because the minor oil leak Hobbs previously had has now become a
bit more like a drizzle.
    Here's the dilema: since I got Hobbs back, there has been a rather
noteable stench coming from the engine compartment.  Smells like burning oil
or burning rubber.  The header immediately burned all its paint off, which I
initially figured was causing the smell... I also thought maybe there was
some soot or dust or rust or something in the header which may also be
burning.  But the smell continues.
    I haven't jacked it up to look underneath, but the oil may be dripping on
the 4-into-1 collector from the oil pan leak (Valve Cover is not leaking -- I
replaced the gasket a few hundred miles ago and it's bone dry).
    I'll be replacing the oil pan gasket next week (this week is Hell Week at
work) and that will eliminate the possibility that the smell is coming from
oil dripping on and burning off of the collector.  But I thought I'd throw
this to the experts and see if anyone else has any other ideas as to what may
be causing the smell.  Many of you have headers on your Spitfires... do they
have any odor?
    PS.  Also installed a Weber, and my erratic idle problem with the stock
ZS is gone -- he's purring like a kitten now.  I highly recommend Webers to
anyone who is considering a carb change.
    Thanks for your help!
        Scott (& Hobbs, who may wind up with the nickname "Stinky" if things
don't change soon!)