Re: Spitfire 1500 year?

To: tom@tomh.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 year?
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:22:30 -0800
Hi Tom,

I recommend buying or borrowing a copy of John Thomason's "Guide to
Originality".  It describes in detail the many (but subtle) changes to
the UK Spitfires over the years.  I can't tell much from the photo
except the chrome door handles lead me to believe the car is earlier
than 1978.  The 1976 model had unique wheels, so if your originals
are still about you could check them.

//
> I should have elaborated, but that is what I meant when I said in my
> original post that the documentation/ID has long been lost by previous
> owners. All components look to be consistent with a 1500 (as I say, a
> 1977/8ish car). I think that the documentation/commision plates etc have
> all been altered for tax avoidance reasons (cars made before 1973 are
> not required to pay road tax in the UK). Hence my need to age it from
> other (less reliable) features such as date stamps on components.
//

Although the commission plate and body number plate are easily changed,
the engine, differential chassis and gearbox numbers are not.  Worth
checking.  As mentioned previously, some of the trim bits are dated.
Also many of the electrical components will have a date code.  The
emergency
flasher switch for example has a 4 digit date code consisting of the
year
(last 2 digits) and 2 digits representing the week.  Of course being
Lucas,
these things could well have been replaced.  As mentioned already, if
the
car has the "TR7 style" switchgear on the steering column then it is
1977
or later.

Hope this helps,
Bob (loves a Spitfire mystery)