Re: Small Detail

To: spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small Detail
From: Dean Rayner <deanr@saville.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:48:52 +0000
on 26/11/99 12:50 am, Walt Fogle at foglew@hotmail.com wrote:
> There is a picture indicating a chrome "ferrule" securing the shift gater to
> the shift lever for MK3 and later cars.

It doesn't actually secure the gaiter to the gear shift leaver, it acts as a
finisher. Even when fitted, the gaiter will still move on the shaft.  There
are two pieces to it, one is the chrome ferrule and the other is a white
plastic threaded part that screws in from underneath, before the carpet is
fitted over the transmission tunnel.

I don't have a spare, but I guess you could turn one up on a lathe without
too much problem.

Dean Rayner.
'69 Mk III...Same age as me!!