Re: URGENT! How do I check non-running Spitfire?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: URGENT! How do I check non-running Spitfire?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:08:59 -0800
Hi and THANKS VERY MUCH to all who replied.  I really think the world of
this list and already feel "at home" even though I haven't acquired my
dream-mobile yet.

I just got back from viewing the "very clean and original" 1967 Triumph
Spitfire "that needs the radiator cleaned and installed, a tune up and some
new tires".  I brought along my checklist from VTR, a floor jack, screw
driver, metric socket set (including spark plug wrench), a screwdriver and a
shirt that I didn't mind getting dirty and drove up to see the vehicle in
high anticipation.  I should have been tipped off last night when the owner
mentioned that I could see it at such and such a time as long as I "didn't
mind having other people there".  I also should have been tipped off when he
failed to reply to my series of questions that I emailed pertaining to the
vehicle.  "Ah well", I thought, "I can just see for myself."

Here's what a found when I got there:  A make shift junkyard on someone's
front property, complete with growling, barking dogs that I insisted be
removed before I'd exit my vehicle.  I looked around and noted several
rusting hulks of various automobiles -- some piled on top of each other.
The spitfire was sitting in the dirt, on its' wheels without tires.  Not on
blocks, IN the dirt.  A 1968 or 1969 (manufactured April 1, 1968) Mk3, with
a non-original dash similar in a appearance to '69 but without the heater
controls) and filled with non-original guages and switches.  It looks like
maybe someone had tried to "update" the look of the dash to be more in
keeping with the later models, since the speedo and tach were in front of
the driver, but it was really strange looking.  It was all one large piece
of plywood.  The car was sitting next to a down slope.

The entire interior had received a horrible upholstery job -- probably many
years ago.  The seats were ripped open with foam rubber, leaves, rodent
droppings and debris everywhere.  The dash was badly cracked, one of the
taillights was broken and sitting on the dirt near the car and there were
spots of rust all over the visible portion of the vehicle and bondo on the
rear valance that was cracking.  When I asked where the passenger side
window was, the guy ran down the side of the slope to retrieve the glass
that was sitting on the hill.  "I'm lucky that it didn't break when it slid
down there!" he said brightly.

The radiator and wind visors were crammed in the trunk, along with an
electric fuel pump mounted to the back of the gas tank.  I learned that the
car had been in a barn for several years (perhaps as a chicken coop),
sitting outside for the last three and not registered since 1985.  I stared
in disbelief at this heap while the owner continued to prattle on about "how
clean" it was.

The engine seemed to turn but for $1,800 there was no way I was going to
bother with this vehicle. There was rust around the gearshift where the
stick connects to the linkage.  The ONLY thing that it had going for it was
the factory steel top, sans the headliner and in sore need of new rubber and
refurbishing.

Needless to say, I left there crestfallen and disappointed.  There's a
lesson for you.  Never, EVER buy a vehicle over the internet unless you can
have someone you trust personally go out and see the vehicle for you.  I
simply couldn't believe how the guy not only didn't know what he was
selling, he was trying to convince me how "clean and original" it was, when
the car was anything BUT.

sigh... the search continues.