Snug Top hardtops [was Re: winter storage]

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Snug Top hardtops [was Re: winter storage]
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:01:29 -0800
David,
        I'm pretty sure that the attachment system mine has is
not what snugtop intended. I don't have it here at my work, but I'll
try to describe it from memory. I'm CC'ing the spit list in case
someone can tell us how it's normally done.
The hardtop has two right angle brackets screwed into it, so
they are just above the soft top mounting point (these look like
they could have been provided with the top, or added by the PO).
The horizontal plane of the brackets have one large hole each. A
turnbuckle is fitted so that the middle (of three) soft top bolts
holds one eye of the turnbuckle, and the other eye holds the angle
bracket. So the turnbuckle stays attached to the car, and to install
or remove the hardtop, you unthread the top eye, put it through the
hole in the the right angle bracket, and thread it back in. It almost
works with the soft top installed (it could possibly if the bolt
holding the lower eye was backed out enough.)
But the bracket that holds the bows has an extra threaded hole in it,
which I assume is for hard top attachment. So what I plan to do is
get some kind of quick release clamp that attaches there and hooks
onto the right angle bracket. I'll let you know if I find the right
thing.

ASCII fig. Best viewed with fixed width font.
 _______
|    x  |
| x     |<--- right angle bracket
|   x   |