Re: Removing undercoating and sandblasting body/frame

To: pabowen@mediaone.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing undercoating and sandblasting body/frame
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:18:04 EST
Hi Patrick,
Spitfire bodies are very strong.  My 63 had gone through a flood (before I
bought it) and mud was everywhere.  I had it standing on each end and side in
nearly every conceivable position.  Be careful of saw horses on the area by
the windshield wipers when the body is inverted.
A heatgun on low power will soften the undercoating.  I used a sprayable
chemical stripper to rid the frame of paint.  I used a high zinc primer on
areas of the frame that can be seen, and POR15 on areas that cannot be seen.
I'm still sorting thru all my parts getting ready for putting the suspension
and drive train back together.  I've got the body ready to start final metal
beating and paint prep.  My biggest problem is deciding on color.  The car
was originally Wedgewood blue which I like, but Royal blue is a favorite of
mine even though it wasn't available until 10/64.
Have you been able to find any rear bumper grommets where the bumper bars go
through the body?
Merry Christmas,
Bill Brockschmidt
FC5301L