Re: Wood steering wheels

To: holmes_law@hotmail.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood steering wheels
From: "dayton carpenter" <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:39:52 PST
Andrew:

When I was in college my girlfriend bought me a wooden steering wheel for my
Spit that was 11 years ago. It is solid mahogany.  Today it still looks like
new.  It is made by Lecarra (sp).  The company that sold it was on the West
Coast in Oregon and offered all types for Spits and other British Cars.
Also they had replacements that were indentical to the OEM types.  The name
I think was British Motor Sports.  I have the receipt at home in the US but
know I live and work in China.  If you cant locate the company I can email a
friend to go through my receipts.  Maybe someone on the list also knows
about this place.  I called the company a few years ago and they were still
in business.  They are very helpful and polite.

I have some pix on my Spit that show the interior.  I have written an
article on my Spit since it has a Chevy 4.3L V-6 with a Borg & Warner T-5.
I also made a matching dash out of solid Honduras mahogany.  If you want a
copy of the article let me know. I have attached the portion on the dash
section.

Dayton Carpenter
Hangzhou China

I rebuilt all the smith gauges. I also decided to add a smith oil and amp
gauges, and a vacuum (VDO) gauge.  I made a new dash from solid Honduras
mahogany to match the wooden steering wheel.  Before making the new dash we
decided to relocate some things such as the light and hazard switches.  I
used MG directional indicators, which are green arrows rather than the one
green circle on the Spitfire that merely tells you the switch is on.  Now
you know which direction is on plus it looks much more professional.   The
tach and speedo gauges are out of a 1968 MGC that came with a 6 cylinder.
The gauges are smaller than the original Spitfire's and look better.  Also
the MGC tach is labeled for a 6 cylinder. The tach still needs to be sent
out to be rewired so it can be hooked up to the HEI ignition system.