Fw: Compression Ratio of the 67 Mk. III Spitfire

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Compression Ratio of the 67 Mk. III Spitfire
From: "Patrick Barber" <patbarber@home.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:38:48 -0500

List,
I am in the process of rebuilding my 1296CC Spitfire MK3.  While searching
for new pistons, I find that there as several compression ratios for the
1296 engine but suppliers list only one piston available for this engine.
The values for the compression ratio they list differ as well.  So far this
is what I found out:

Three different 1296 engines exist and are differentiated by their Engine
number
        FD...1HE is a 1296 with a 9.0:1 compression Ratio
        FD...1LE is a 1296 with a 8.0:1 compression Ratio
        Fe...1HE is a 1296 with a 8.5:1 compression Ratio

Victoria British lists a 9.0:1 piston for the 1296 engine (part number
1-3151-0 for 199.99/set)

Spitbits list a 8.0:1 piston for the 1296 engine (part number CP304 for
$130/set)

Rimmer Bros list a high compression piston for the 1296 engine (part number
155907 for $127/set)

Now the big question. Does the piston I choose for the engine determine the
compression ratio (as it does on the 1500 engine) or does the cylinder block
/ Cylinder head combination determine the compression ratio?

Your help will be appreciated.

Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L
Visit My Triumph Website at