Re: Final drive gear ratios

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Final drive gear ratios
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:34:48 EST
It varied by country:

            North America           Balance of the Planet
62-70        4.11                           4.11
71            3.89                            3.89
72            4.11                            3.89
73            3.89                            3.89
74-80        3.89                           3.63

The lower hp of the North Amercia models from the emissions devices
necessitated a shorter final drive to maintain "acceptable" acceleration
(acceptable being relative).  In Britain, the 1500 actually had a better
0-60 time AND better mpg than the 1296 Mk IV thanks to the combo
of more hp and taller final drive.  And according to contemporary road tests
in my Brooklands Gold Portfolio, the British version of the 1500 with
OD pulled 4000 rpm at 90 mph - hows THAT for relaxed highway
cruising!

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire