Re: Long distance Spits

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Long distance Spits
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:32:42 +0000

Hi!

On this subject (well, at least not too far off this subject) has anyone ever
done the Triumph Club's Round Britain Reliability Run in a Spitfire?

To fill in those who aren't familiar with it, the event takes place every two
years (on even numbered years).  A load of Triumphs start at Enfield, in North
London, on Friday night.  They drive up to John O'Groats (North-East corner of
Scotland), down to Lands End (South-West corner of England) and back to Enfield
again, aiming to be back by Sunday evening - total journey lenght, around 2000
miles.

I'd love to do this in my Spitfire, but I don't think it'll be up to it this
year.  But a friend who's Spitfire is currently being restored has suggested
that we could do the run in his car, which will be ready by then.

The general feeling from people we've spoken to is that we're completely mad.
It seems to be generally accepted that you need three drivers to do this, and of
course you can't get three people in Spitfire (ok, I know you can, but it's not
very practicle).  One possibility is to find someone else who's doing this in a
bigger car, and get six drivers spread between the two cars - but I feel like
this would take something away from the acheivement.  Anyone any thoughts, or
even better, experience?

Cheers,

Dean