Re: Installing an Oil pressure Gauge

To: "Milotay, Mark ISTA:EX" <Mark.Milotay@gems5.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Installing an Oil pressure Gauge
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 06:45:44 -0800
>I was just wondering if what type of oil gauge (mechanical, electric...)
>should I be buying for my '80 Spitfire, and will it just run off of the
>connection that works the idiot light? I was in my local auto part store
>at lunch today & came to the realization that I don't know how the oil
>light works on my car (other than it is connected to the sending unit
>on the engine.
It's generally considered that a mechanical gauge will be a (slightly) more
accurate indication of what's going on than an electrical gauge (of equal
quality), but an electrical gauge won't have that high pressure oil line in
the "cockpit".  I have a mechanical style in mine, really only because it
matches the other gauges in the car (Smiths) that Triumph originally
supplied-

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)