Hand Brake Linkage

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hand Brake Linkage
From: Dean Rayner <deanr@saville.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:29:07 +0000
Hi,

I need a little advice before I tackle this job.

My hand/parking/emergency brake is very inefficient.  It can hardly hold the
car on a slope.  Now this doesn't worry me much, but the MOT tester would
like to see a little more efficiency!

I have checked the brake cylinders at each side and they are free to slide
on the back plates. The back plates are clean and the spring clips which
hold the cylinders are almost new.  The adjusters are correctly set.

The MOT inspector said that the clevis pins on the quadrant arm were seized.
How much of a job is it to get at this?  Am I correct in thinking that I
will have to remove both the exhaust and the prop shaft?

Does the quadrant fasten to the top of the chassis? If so, how accessible is
it?

Dean Rayner
MKIII spit.