Re: Replacing shift lever boot

To: "krhodes1@maine.rr.com" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Replacing shift lever boot
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:30:50 -0500
Kevin, I have just replaced the carpet with boot attached on my 1976 1500.

The boot ( or gaiter) on the original carpet and my replacement is fixed in
both cases to the carpet. This is a conical vinyl affair and has lots of
clearance over the "tumor" in the lever. Any way the lever is attached by a cap
that has a bayonet fitting at the sides and just literally "push and twists"
off at the bottom of the lever. Watch for the spring below.

Sounds like the wrong boot to me. I have pictures on my website of the old one
in situ at http://www.ftconnect/~alemen/spitfire/spitfire.html.
Also I have a later picture of the transmission without the cover showing the
lever, "tumor" etc. in place. I can send you it for comparison if you need it.

Here is what I did:
use a large flat blade screwdriver to prise the top black platstic part out.
detach the 2 wires - they just pull out - of the switch
using a wrench loosen the chrome conical not below the knob.
then with the knob loosened, unscrew the locking ring inside the knob with a
small tool such as a needle nose pliers etc.
then remove the complete knob. It is slotted over the top of the lever.
then remove the carpet/boot.
On the old carpet remove the large rubber conical grommet (as they are no
longer available) for resuse.

Alan