Re: Overlooking the obvious

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Overlooking the obvious
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 07:27:04 -0700
Jeff,
The rating on the tire sidewall is ONLY a maximum tire pressure rating NOT
what you should put in your tires.  The car manufacturers specs are what
you should inflate your tires to.  Unless you have modified your car, are
racing, or have installed a couple of sizes different tire should you
possibly consider changing tire pressures from those recommended by the
manufacturer.  Many people mistakenly assume that the pressure printed on
the sidewall is what they should inflate their tires to and this *usually*
is incorrect.  Sometime you might get lucky and the manufacturers specs and
the tire sidewall rating will be the same, but this is very rare.  Under NO
circumstances should you exceed the rating on the tire.  If the tire isn't
rated for what the car maker says should be used, then you have the wrong
tire for your vehicle. The Spit should have around 22 psi front 26 rear (if
my memory serves me, I may be wrong on that)  A slight raising of those
pressures of a couple of pounds, with the stock size of 145 or even 155 to
165 should improve handling somewhat at the expense of a *slightly* harsher
ride.  Even with my highly modified Spitfire I run only 24 psi front, 28
psi rear, and that's with 205/60 tires.  Running with 36 psi all around may
lead to undesirable handling characteristics at speed (sudden oversteer or
understeer), and will MOST CERTAINLY wear the tires out prematurely with
the characteristic worn down the middle bald spot-

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)