Pop Rivet guns

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Pop Rivet guns
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:01:04 -0600
As an alternative to trying to buy the correct "snout" for my pop rivet
guns, I either modify an existing one by turning it down in a lathe, or
you could grind it against a grinding wheel.

Also I turn up new snouts out of 1/4" course thread bolts.  Drill down
the centre to take the rivet stem, then turn a chamfer on the threaded
end to fit into the gun, and finally turn a snout to suit what I'm
doing.  I've made them up to 3/4" long, and just the diameter of a rivet
head for a job I had to do.

Mind you, you do need a lathe for that.

alemen@pop.ftconnect.com wrote:

> Doug, as in my original email reply to Kevin. my solution to not having a
>fine "snout" on my pop-rivit gun is to use a very small hex nut. worked fine
>on the snap fasteners on the back and also on the rails on the front
> Check all the nuts and bolts, and the two-part plastic sleeves on all the
>joints.

Also, you can turn up those domed headed nuts on a lathe quite easily.
The hard part I've found is making or finding a tool to turn the slotted
nuts with.

> You can get exact replacement rounded-head nuts and bolts, but they are
> sort of expensive (and my bolt order has been on back-order at TRF for 6
>months).
> Regular bolts are certainly better than nothing, though.

Cheers, Fred--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,
Calgary, Canada
http://www.cadvision.com/griffco/index.htm