Going down...

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Going down...
From: DWARE@uk.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:47:25 +0100

I did it, I replaced the shocks and springs on my 1500. The parts were from
Rimmer Brothers here in the UK, SPAX adjustable shocks and standard
springs. After taking an unpleasent amount of time removing all the nuts
(the originals I'm sure), getting the old  towers out and replacing
everything (no nasty accidents with the springs) I finally got to slowly
lowering the car back down again.

Bugger, it just kept going down until the front roll bar grounded on the
trolley jack. This was not what I wanted. I raised the tyres on blocks and
tried again, I could now atleast get the jack out. The compressed height of
the springs are 7.5 inches and the distance from the centre of the shock
eye to the spring base is about 3 inches. How do these sound to you?

My TriumphTune manual says 8 inches is the compressed height for standard
springs but I don't think this would raise it sufficiently, have I got the
right SPAX shocks? They have a part number of G210 on them, my original
shocks seem to be a little bigger.

Finally, any tips on getting the shocks and springs out easily, I found it
really tricky getting it past the front roll bar.

TIA,
David
1977 Spitfire 1500