Collector Plates - kind of long

To: "Spitfires Listserv" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Collector Plates - kind of long
From: "John & Judy Tones" <jtones@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:15:29 -0700
First of all you have to understand that we here in British Columbia are
"favored" with having a gov't run auto insurance/licensing group. In their
wisdom they managed to come up with one good scheme for the likes of some of
us and our cars.
If you are content to not drive the car to/from work or general everyday
"excessive" mileage driving you can apply for "Collector" plates.
The insurance rate for these is MUCH lower than your regular car but I guess
they had to put out some sort of guidelines for qualifying. The general
issue is;
- you must have another car licensed for regular use or have a company car
- the car must be 25 years or older - 15 years if it is a limited production
(less than1500 produced)
- must be in stock configuration as from the factory
- must be in very good overall condition/appearance
In answer to the question about radial tires - yes you can use them provided
"they are kept in the spirit of original issue"
I agree that there are a lot of "rules" but man the end result for someone
who takes care of his car and wants to keep it stock are substantial, even
to the point of some "parts" places giving discounts if the parts are for a
"Collector"car.
John Tones
(working on a MKIII GT6 so as to get Collector plates)