Re: Steering Colum Help

To: "N.A. Campiglia III" <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Colum Help
From: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:32:01 -0500
Hi Nick
    Just did that, so I can say "been there, done that". 8^}

You do have to pull the column.

Heres how I got the bushings out.
They are rubber and have nylon sleeves in them where the inner shaft rides on
them.

Remove steering wheel.
Disconnect wires going to column
Remove steering column
Remove the switches and associated wiring
Pull the inner shaft out
What you will have left is the outer column and the 2 bushings

You will note that on each side of the bushings, there is a round piece of
rubber showing through holes in the column. this is all that keeps them in
place , other than friction.

I took a drill , a little smaller than the round rubber that is showing and
drilled them out. I went right through the nylon sleeving.

I then took some WD 40 and sprayed it on the inside of the column.

I have some dent pulling tools . looks like a tee handle with a 90 degree hook
on the end .

I put the tool inside the column and hooked one of the holes I just drilled.

A little twisting and pulling, out they popped.

Now my warning, Do not buy replacements from Victoria British, the nylon
sleeves are made a little too thick too allow the shaft to go back in with out
extreme effort. Then they are so tight that they turned with the shaft.  I had
to pull them back out and SAND them down so my shaft would fit.

Hope this helps, my steering column is nice and tight. No wobbling, very
smooth.
Pat
63 Spitfire(need to do this steering column also)
74 Spitfire (works like new)
68 Chevy C10 (Never a problem with Chevy's)
 http://www.spitfires.iwarp.com/  (just getting started)

 http://www.dol.net/~starborn/artvango.html