timing problem

To: spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing problem
From: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:36:12 -0500
I am working on my Spitfire preignition problem again and found a few
things. My modified 1500 with what I think is  a stock '74 distributor
would ping under load. When I have the base timing set where it should
the car runs poorly and misses at higher rpm. Today I got out my  timing
light and vacuum pump and found that when I apply vacuum to the
distributor the timing doesn't change from having the vacuum line
pulled. Also when I rev the engine the timing doesn't change. Should I
get some mechanical advance, and at what rpm? Also how much vacuum
should the distributor be getting in psi.

Also, when I was out working on the car a guy on his bike pulled up and
started talking about the Spitfire he had when he was younger. While
this guy was talking to me a lady pulled up in her car and invited me to
a collector car show in the area. Her husband races a MG TD in the
VSCDA. This type of thing doesn't seem to happen with a Chevrolet.

Chris Pappathopoulos