Softening old windshield seals

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Softening old windshield seals
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:55:29 -0700
While this doesn't directly apply to my Triumphs, it would have applied to
many of you at one time or another, and is a "technical" question.
While parked at my old place, now rental house in La Mesa the rear window
on my 27 year old truck (73 Ford/Mazda Courier) was shattered, possibly by
a small rock.  I managed to find a new replacement window but the rubber
gasket is made of un-obtainium.  Now the old shattered window is still in
the truck, albeit in eleventy billion tiny little chunks, so I'll be able
to remove it without damaging the gasket.  The retaining gasket in question
appears to be in excellent condition, no cracks or tears anywhere BUT, it
is a very old piece of rubber and I'm sure has hardened over the years to
exposure.  Which leads to my question.  Is there anything I can soak it in
(like magic rubber rejuvenator) after I remove it to make it a little more
pliable without ruining the darn thing?  I certainly don't want to split it
while installing the new glass.
What do all you people with really old or odd cars with unavailable window
gaskets do?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)