Car running again!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car running again!
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:18:48 -0400
It's alive!
   I received my "super-starter" (that gear reduction one from TSI. Thanks
Ted!) After I went through 2 of the rebuilt canister type units (Ted didn't
sell me those).

  After about 8 cranks and fiddeling with the carbs....Hey, maybe I should
just give a little tug on the choke...VRROOOM!

  Black smoke then started to pour from the engine campartment! All that
time I spent painting the header with high-temperature paint wasted. It all
came bubbling off along with the noxcious (sp) fumes and billowous clouds of
smoke.

  Between starters, I had plenty of time to install the dual HIF4's (w
K&Ns), chromed GM alternator, pacesetter header (it was yellow for a time),
KEM plug wires, points, 680 cold-cranking amp battery and color-coordinated
wire looms on all the wires, and now the monza exhaust is half on (couldn't
be any louder than my 1 year old stock exhaust which leaked...or could it? A
1" hole at the preheater adapter plate.)

 My new chromed GM alternator isn't giving me an indicator for the ignition
though. I've checked the wiring and if I alligator clip the brown/yellow
wire to ground and turn the ignition to the accessory position, I get the
red light.
 But hooked-up to the GM alternator position 1, and the ignition turned to
accessory. No indicator light. My fault for swaping out a working lucas
alternator for a GM. Right?
 But every time the damned electronic cooling fan would come on, the idle
would drop (no short in the wiring. I've checked).

 Finally, my dual SU HIF4's don't have any vaccum tubes to be able to put a
vaccum gauge on to balance the carbs. Each has an evaporative loss pipe (to
hook up to the valve cover breather) and a venting tube to go to the carbon
canister, but nothing to hook up the vaccum advance. (I assume I'll have to
get one of the units that goes over the carb opening.)
  I have a manifold-bolt to go onto the European market 1500 intake manifold
that has a 3/16" tube, which I've hooked-up to the vaccum advance hose. But
I have no idea how much vacuum this "modification" will pull (guess I've got
a use for those vacuum gauges after all). I also have a bolt with a 1/4"
tube.
Does anyone know if using a larger diameter hose will effect the advance?
.
Well, atleast it's running after 2+ weeks...hey and just in time for some
more rain tonight and tomorrow!

Blah!
Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spitfire 1500