HIF4 problems

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF4 problems
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 21:18:24 -0400
Thanks everyone,
For all the responses I received, regarding the backfiring and hesitation,
the general response appeared to be that either there was a problem with the
ignition or my dashpots were not properly filled with fluid.

I drove to the local LBC shop this afternoon and purchased a Lucas Sport
Coil and threw my J.C.Whitney 40k volt chrome coil in the garbage. I also
purchased the correct set of points for the distributor (turns out that I
have a Lucas D4? from a Midget...damned DPO), and finally topped off the
dashpots (probably added another 1/8 to 1/4" of fluid in the dampers.)

The car appears to have stopped the shimmy, hesitation and backfire. But the
idle speed has dropped also (enough to keep it running steady, but it's
rougher). So I'll be installing new plugs (for the second time) and
adjusting the carbs again for the 4th time.

Thanks for all the advice on what to look for. I thank you, and my car
thanks you.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500 (Now I just need to fix that exhaust leak)
Maryland

P.S. Also, I got to meet Paul Geithner and see his Spitfire 1500 (I used to
drool on the picture of it on the VTR owner's page.
http://www.toad.net/~geithner/paul/spit.html
) when I stopped by the LBC shop today. It's a fantastic looking car
(british racing green with white Shelby stripes). He's lowered the front end
(modified the coils) and adjusted the front camber, and is running Yokohama
slicks on TR7 rims. He's also running dual SU's (HS4) and the pacesetter
header.